Thursday 3 May 2012

Industry Insight

Industry Insight

Daniel Kenright a young upcoming actor shares his experiences in one of the toughest businesses around!






What experience have you had so far since graduating from the Liverpool Media Academy?
Mainly plays and short films, I have also started to do more of my own work, we have set up a theatre company and are putting on our own plays. I have also set up a production company making our own short films and our first feature is in the summer. So I’m creating my own experiences as well as looking for them. 

Are you finding it difficult to break into the industry?
Yes I am because it takes a lot to even get an agent, the audition process and then actually getting cast. It is all about your look more than anything, it is very difficult but you have just got to keep going.

How did you get into acting and what made you pursue it as a career?
I was throwing a strop one day in work and I was sick of my job and found a leaflet for acting and thought I would give it a go and since then I have never looked back. 

What is the best part of being an actor?
Being someone else, being able to play a psycho or anything that’s not normal.

What are you looking to achieve?
Just to get into a position were I can play any part and be paid well for it.
Do you have any advice you could give to up and coming actors?
Just to try and get involved as much as possible, whether its plays, student events or short films to build up your CV and show reel learning from the experience that you get.

Can you think of your most embarrassing audition so far?
I had one for a perfume commercial where they pulled me into a room and then went back into the casting room and got a girl to come in. They said can you two just stand there and dance as though you are in a bar and we started dancing, then they said now can you turn around and look at each other. Now kiss each other keep it going now put her on the table they made me do this about six times for about 15 minutes, I had jaw ache.

Who do you look up to in the acting world? Anyone like Tom Hanks, who can play multiple roles. I actually really like Leonardo DeCaprio I think he’s brilliant and slightly under rated.

What has been your most difficult role so far? The hardest role I have had to play is Othello. I’d say anything to do with Shakespeare is very hard, just understanding the language but once you do it its very powerful.

What accomplishment are you most proud of? Probably the theatre company that I have created along with some friends, we put on our first show on and I co-directed it. We only had one show but we sold out that night and got really great feed back from it, so yes definitely that.  


                                                             Actor Daniel Kenright

No comments:

Post a Comment